Sunday, August 28, 2016

Introducing Fawn

Skye was a terrible, unexpected loss for us(read the previous post), but we are a two dog household and it's my nature to rescue, so I hit the rescue sites and shelters, but I couldn't find any connections with any possible candidates until I went to the Humane Society of Sarasota where I found Fawn (formerly called Sophie).
Fawn was listed as a 2-year-old Australian Kelpie mix, 25 lbs, playful, gentle, and sociable. When I first saw Fawn she was curled up on her bed in the dog run. I asked the humane worker what her story was, he said that she was recently brought back because the adopters said she tore up their couch, it set off my curiosity to have a closer look at her.
Our first meeting was good, Fawn came up to me licked my hand and she let me pet her. A few minutes later she jumped up on the bench next to me laid there next to me while I petted her. The Humane worker said she never did that with anyone else. I did notice that Fawn favored her right back foot which looked like a club foot; I was told that apparently her foot was broken at one point and was never reset, but she can put pressure and run on it without any problems.
So what could I do? We definitely had a connection and I am one for taking in dogs with disabilities, but the big test would be Cupcake, who I happened to bring along. So off we went outside to meet and greet. Fawn was an instant hit with Nadine and to our surprise, Cupcake liked her too. Although most of my other dogs were bigger in size, Fawn seemed to fit in well with our family, but size is not a deeming factor, our connection was good and Cupcake's approval would ensure the harmony of our pack.

To date, we've had Fawn for over one month and she has exceeded all expectations, she is intelligent, easy to train, a good watchdog and she has learned the house rules quickly, she doesn't tear up furniture(as reported), goes outside routinely with Cupcake and  recently has been let outside off leash with no problems. She and Cupcake have adopted each other as sisters and Nadine as a pack mother.

So life goes on with our pack, it's always a joy to see rescue dogs come into their own personality, freeing of their spirit and the happiness of them with their environment. They are a comfort, companionship, delight, compassion and love ready to embrace their owner(s) and the world around them, so without further fanfare, our new pack member--Fawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment